Mathematics Preservice Teacher Scholarship Application
Any student attending a Texas college, university (public or private), or Texas approved alternative certification entity and who plans on student teaching during the 2017-18 school year in order to pursue teacher certification at the elementary, middle or secondary level with a specialization or teaching field in mathematics is eligible to apply. All applicants must be non-certified in the teaching profession prior to the 2017-2018 school year and have maintained a GPA of 3.0 overall and 3.25 in all courses that apply to the degree (or certification).
You must mail one (1) copy of your official college transcipt(s) to Dr. Faye Bruun. Her address is listed in the box on the right.
You must submit to Dr. Bruun either electronically (via email or uploading through this website in the access provided below) or in hard copy the following documents:
- Completed application form (see webform below or PDF link in the box on the right).
- Two letters of recommendation:
- One from either a mathematics or mathematics education professor you have taken coursework from and is not related to you.
- One from a K-12 classroom teacher of mathematics you have worked with recently or that was a former teacher of yours and is not related to you.
- It is required that at least one of these recommendations come from a current member of TCTM, it is preferred that both recommendations come from current members of TCTM.
- An essay of 1,500 words or more that describes your philosophy of teaching mathematics and how you will implement this philosophy with your future students. Specific examples of how you will teach a mathematics concept, which should include an explanation of the topic, are required to illustrate your teaching philosophy. Or you may write an essay that explains a specific mathematics topic or concept, for example, a paper on pr oportionality and strategies you will use to teach this mathematics topic.
Online Application Form for the Preservice Teacher Scholarship